Also view us on FACEBOOK:

View us on FACEBOOK: http://on.fb.me/1Ps6aEG

Sunday 2 October 2016

'COME HOLY GHOST...'

Rev. Canon George Sinclair
by Rev. Canon George Sinclair                           
 Pastor of the Church of the Messiah, Ottawa, ON.
 www.messiahchurch.ca 

_________________________________________________________
(Podcast of CFRA broadcast on Sunday, October 2nd,  2016)
http://accm.ncf.ca/images/16.10.02.mp3  
_____________________________________________________

Broadcast Notes:
*********************************************************
 
"Come Holy Ghost..."


This week’s broadcast talk is a shortened version of a sermon I gave at Church of the Messiah. The sermon was not part of a series. I preached it on Pentecost Sunday.

Acts 2: 1-13  - English Standard Version (ESV)

The Coming of the Holy Spirit

2 When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested[a] on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, 11 both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.” 12 And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?” 13 But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.”

Footnotes:

1.      Acts 2:3 Or: And tongues as of fire appeared to them, distributed among them, and rested
____________________________________________

"Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send Him to you." John 16:7  (ESV)

1. Evil erodes and removes human differences, but the Holy Spirit makes us more ourselves and redeems uniqueness.

2. The Holy Spirit touches our hearts to redeem and change our heart.

3. Lord please give me the gift of tongues. Please help me to tell of Your mighty works in words that touch the heart.

"Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send Him to you." John 16:7  (ESV)

4. Before the death and resurrection of Jesus, the Holy Spirit might visit a person. Now, Jesus pours out the Holy Spirit to live in ordinary people who trust Jesus as their Saviour and Lord.

Dear Lord, please forgive me for not believing You when You said, "Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send Him to you."
Lord, You have kept Your promise by giving Your Holy Spirit to Your disciples. Please make me a disciple of Jesus gripped by the Gospel living filled with Your Holy Spirit, dependent on Your Holy Spirit, submitted to Your Holy Spirit.
In Jesus' Name. AMEN


Rev. Canon George Sinclair
Church of the Messiah
_____________________________________________
To listen to the above broadcast, click on the following link:

No comments:

Post a Comment